Learn how to make these delicious gluten free chocolate pancakes with my step by step recipe! These gluten free chocolate chip pancakes are a great breakfast idea that your kids will absolutely love.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
– Melted chocolate flows out from the pancakes as you bite into them
– Even though this recipe is gluten free, the pancakes turn our fluffy and tall
– These pancakes don’t have added sugar – thanks to the chocolate and banana!
– You can use any chocolate you want thus making the pancakes different every time!
What are Gluten Free Chocolate Pancakes Made of?
– 2 eggs, whites separated from yolks
– 2 tbsp white rice flour
– 2 tbsp tapioca flour
– 1 banana
– 1 ½ tbsp oil
– ½ tsp baking powder
– a pinch of salt
– Chocolate chip to taste
Watch How to Make Gluten Free Chocolate Pancakes!
Step by Step Recipe
Step 1 – beat the whites
Separate the yolks from the whites and beat the whites with a hand mixer until you see a thick foam forming. Make sure there is no fat in the mixing bowl as even a little bit will prevent the foam from forming!
Step 2 – mix the dry ingredients
In a separate medium size bowl mix the flours, the salt, and the baking powder. Make sure all dry ingredients are incorporated well before you add anything to it!
Step 3 – add the wet ingredients
Mash the banana with a potato masher or a fork. Mix the mashed banana, egg yolks, and the oil. Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate. Finally, fold the egg whites into the mix with a rubber spatula being careful not to destroy all the air bubbles that we created while beating. Don’t overmix!
Step 4 – fry the pancakes!
Add some oil or butter to a preheated frying pan. Then scoop pancakes onto the pan and place the chocolate chip on top of each one of them. Then, place another layer of the batter on top of the chocolate and fry for a few minutes until brown. Flip carefully and fry for another minute and transfer to a plate. Serve with bananas, sour cream, chocolate sauce, or maple syrup! Enjoy while warm.
Tips and Tricks for Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes
– Take a few minutes to preheat the pan as it will ensure that all pancakes fry at the same pace without burning some and leaving the others underdone.
– Gluten free pancakes need a bit more time to fry, which can easily be achieved if you lower the heat. It will require some patience, but the results are worth it!
– Use as much chocolate as you want and experiment with different kinds!
– Serve the pancakes warm before the chocolate inside hardens.
– Don’t leave out the tapioca flour as it adds to the texture and makes the pancakes more moist.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Can Replace Flour in Pancakes?
You can omit the flour completely and just use a banana and some eggs, although it will make the pancakes fragile and flat, but it doesn’t mean they won’t be just as delicious!
Do Gluten Free Pancakes Taste Good?
They do if you make them right! It depends on the amount and type of flour(s) you are using. I like using banana and tapioca flour in my gluten free pancakes as those ingredients add to the texture and the taste of the end result!
Does Gluten Free Baking Powder Work the Same?
Yes, it does. Make sure you are using gluten free baking powder by checking the ingredients on the back of the package!
Can You Freeze Gluten Free Pancakes?
Yes, you can! Freeze them in an air tight container or bags with paper sheets in between the pancakes so that they don’t stick to each other.
How Do I Make Gluten Free Vegan Pancakes?
You can use 2 bananas and omit the eggs. You won’t get the same fluffiness as the egg whites are definitely the star of this recipe, but you will still get delicious pancakes for breakfast! You can also try using chia egg which is 1 tbsp of chia seeds mixed with 1 tbsp of water and left for a few minutes to soak.
Other Pancake Recipes You Will Like!
Have you made these gluten free dairy free chocolate chip pancakes? I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram @natashashome_ and I would love to share your creations in my stories! If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment in the section below!