This traditional roasted garlic soup recipe is super easy to make and is unbelievably healthy and good for you. If you are looking for the best garlic soup recipe to make within the limits of your busy schedule, then this creamy garlic soup recipe is your best choice!
What is the Health Benefit of Roasted Garlic Soup?
If you thought that drinking chicken bone broth is the healthiest food for winter, then check out this creamy goodness of chicken stock mixed with a TON of garlic! Garlic is packed with nutrition, has very few calories, will help you beat the common cold, can assist in reducing blood pressure, balance cholesterol levels (thus improving your heart health), and aids in preventing mental illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, enhances your performance abilities, prevents your body from developing metal toxicity, potentially increases bone health for women, and overall gives you more chances for a longer life! For more detailed information check out this article that expands on all of these.
Isn’t that great to be able to boost your health while also enjoying a delicious meal? Sign me up!
Does Garlic Taste Good in Soup?
Fresh garlic is indeed strong. You probably couldn’t eat 3 cloves at once, leave alone a whole bowl that contains at least 7 of them! The good news here! Roasted and/or boiled garlic loses its strong punch in the process of cooking and rather provides a nutty flavor and delicious savory notes to your dish. So, to answer your question, roasted and boiled garlic tastes amazing and has none of that strong flavor of fresh garlic.
What is in Roasted Garlic Soup?
Roasted garlic soup is onion, garlic, and chicken stock mixed together into a delicious cooked creamy soup. You can also add cream or milk if you prefer! Garlic onion soup is very easy to make, it has very few ingredients, and is a great prevention and treatment for winter colds.
Ingredients for Roasted Garlic Soup
- 3 heads of garlic
- 700 ml (3 cups) of chicken stock (vegetable stock, chicken broth, bone broth – all work great!)
- 1 onion
- 200 ml (3/4 cups) cooking cream (if using) – I used 10% cream, but feel free to go higher in fat or just use milk!
- 2 tbsp olive oil for caramelizing the onion
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Roasted Garlic Soup
Step by Step Recipe
STEP 1 – Roast the Garlic
Preheat the oven to 350F/170C. Take 2 heads of garlic and peel the cloves. Set the remaining head of garlic aside. Wrap the peeled garlic into a piece of foil and place into the oven for 30 minutes or until browns.
STEP 2 – Caramelize the Onion
Chop up your onion and place it into a preheated pot with some olive oil on the bottom. Leave on medium heat until starts to brown. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. There will be brown glaze forming on the bottom of your pot – that is okay! You will deglaze it with your stock later.
STEP 3 – Add Ingredients Together
When the onions have browned, and the garlic finished roasting, now is the time to add fresh garlic and stock to the pot. If you want to make garlic soup vegan, then use vegetable stock, but otherwise, I suggest using rich chicken stock or broth (homemade is best). Add salt and pepper to taste, bring to a simmer, and leave for 20-30 minutes until the fresh garlic softens (you can check them with a knife or a fork).
STEP 4 – Blend the Soup
You can use an immersion blender or a countertop blender for this step. If you are using a countertop blender make sure you cover the top so that your roasted garlic soup doesn’t splash all over your kitchen!
STEP 5 – Add Cream (Optional)
You can add heavy cream or milk at this point if you are using it. You will feel the sweetness of cream if you add it, so if you prefer to have a rather salty soup, just skip the cream and serve it as a clear roasted garlic soup!
STEP 6 – Enjoy!
Serve with croutons, sausage, roasted veggies, cheese, a sandwich, or anything else that you can think of! Enjoy!
Tips for Success
- To save time you can press down garlic cloves with a knife until it cracks a little and then the shell will just slide off! This trick makes the process a whole lot faster. Watch the video for more details.
- Don’t worry about chopping your onion super finely. You will blend your roasted garlic soup at the end, so all the chunks of onion will blend into the soup anyway!
- Use homemade chicken stock or bone broth. Homemade chicken broth has a lot of health benefits and the potential for an immunity boost.
- If you want your soup to have a stronger garlic taste you can add some fresh minced garlic to the bowl when you serve.
- To make this soup spicy just add some chili paprika or cayenne pepper.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Put Raw Garlic in Roasted Garlic Soup?
Raw garlic has a strong flavor, so keep that in mind as you decide on the amount of fresh garlic to put into your bowl. But generally, yes, you can totally put raw garlic in soup and enjoy more health benefits! Just remember that it also has a strong garlic smell.
Do I Need to Peel Garlic for Soup?
Yes, you do. However, there is no need to spend a whole hour sitting and peeling those garlic cloves! You can press each clove down with a knife until it cracks, and then the shell will just slide off the garlic. Such a time saver!
Do You Need to Wash Garlic?
Once you peel it, then you can rinse the garlic under water. I don’t always wash my garlic, but if you are concerned about germs, you totally can!
Can You Overcook Garlic in Soup?
You can’t really overcook it, but your garlic will acquire a milder flavor when it is cooked. So, if you want to have a stronger flavor of garlic in your soup, then you can avoid cooking it for too long, or just add some fresh minced garlic at the very end!
How to Make Garlic Mushroom Soup?
If you want to make garlic mushroom soup, garlic chicken soup, or ginger garlic soup, just add those ingredients to the bowl! For garlic mushroom soup you can fry your mushrooms together with onions. For garlic chicken soup, just add cooked chicken to the bowl, and if you want to make ginger garlic soup just add some fresh ground ginger to the pot closer to the end of the cooking process!
I would love to see pictures of your roasted garlic soup if you made this recipe! Just share them on Instagram and tag #natashashome. If you have any questions I did not touch on in the article, please ask in the comments below! I would love to help you get better at creating delicious meals at home.
Healthy Roasted Garlic Soup
- 1 blender
- 3 garlic heads
- 1 onion
- 700 ml (3 cups) chicken stock can substitute for vegetable stock
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) heavy cream optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Separate 2 garlic heads into cloves and peal. Then wrap into foil and roast at 350F/170C for about 30 minutes or until brown.
- Chop up the onion and peal the rest of the garlic. Don't worry about chopping the onion super finely as you will blend the soup at the end.
- Place the onions into a preheated pot with some olive oil on the bottom. Caramelize onions on medium-low heat until brown.
- When garlic is ready, add it to the pot along with fresh garlic and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes or until the fresh garlic cloves are soft (you can check them with a knife or a fork).
- Blend the soup and add cream at the end if using. Serve with croutons, sausage, roasted eggplant, grilled cheese, or anything else that sounds good to you! Enjoy!