This gluten-free savory crepes recipe is a great healthy dinner idea for a Sunday evening! Mushrooms, fried with garlic and spinach, are mixed with creamy ricotta and seasoned with a good amount of salt, then wrapped into a delicious gluten-free savory crepe. Easy recipe!
What are Savory Crepes Called?
Savory crepes are officially called galettes while the sweet version is referred to as crepes.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
– This gluten-free crepe recipe doesn’t use xanthan gum
– Super easy one-bowl recipe
– Make-ahead recipe
– Make any filling you like!
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Savory Crepes
For the Crepes
– 4 eggs
– ½ cup white rice flour
– ½ cup brown rice flour
– 4 tbsp tapioca flour
– 1 ½ tbsp oil
– 1 cup milk
– ¼ tsp salt
For the Filling
– 200 grams ricotta
– 3 garlic cloves
– 70 grams spinach
– 285 grams mushrooms
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– salt to taste
Watch How to Make Gluten-Free Savory Crepes Recipe
Step by Step Recipe
Step 1 – mix all ingredients for the crepes
Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and use a hand mixer to incorporate. You may use a blender as well! Gluten-free batter likes mixing, so keep going until you can’t see any more lumps and then for 2 more minutes.
Step 2 – rest the batter
Let the batter sit for 30-60 minutes prior to using so that the flour has enough time to absorb the liquids. Gluten free flour absorbs a lot, but it needs time to do it. Stir the batter before frying!
Step 3 – prep the filling
Grind the mushrooms in a food processor and chop the garlic. Add mushrooms and garlic to a preheated pan sprinkled with some olive oil and fry until the veggies brown. Stir to make sure garlic doesn’t burn!
Add chopped spinach and ricotta to the pan and stir to combine. Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
Step 4 – fry the crepes
Preheat a non-stick pan (you may use cast iron pan, too, if it is seasoned well). Grease the pan with some butter or olive oil and pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the pan (I usually eyeball the amount of batter I pour). Let the crepes brown on one side (2-3 minutes), then scrape the sides before flipping. Flip the crepe and fry on the other side for about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the batter.
Tip: I like to use 2 frying pans at the same time to speed up the process.
Step 5 – add the filling to the crepes
Place 2 tbsp of the filling onto a crepe and wrap or roll up as you like. Place into a baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the crepes. Grate some cheese on top of the crepes, place into a preheated oven at 350F/175C for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Serve right away!
Tips and Tricks for Gluten-Free Savory Crepes
– Don’t skip the resting part. The batter needs time for the flour to absorb the liquids! You can make the filling in the meantime.
– Stir the batter before frying as the heavier ingredients tend to settle on the bottom of the bowl.
– Fry gluten free savory crepes on a preheated pan on a lower heat than you would regular crepes. Gluten free flour needs more time to fry which can be achieved by lowering the heat to prevent burning!
– For dairy free savory crepes substitute the milk for water or plant based milk.
– You can make vegan gluten free crepes by omitting the eggs and substituting the milk for a plant based type.
– Grease the pan between each crepe.
– If you plan to freeze your gluten free crepes, then you will need to place parchment paper in between the crepes to prevent them from sticking to each other.
– Make the crepe batter ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Serve the fried crepes within the next 3 days.
Ideas for How to Serve Gluten Free Savory Crepes
– Fill with scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese
– Or with ham and cheese
– You can use creamy chicken with mushrooms
– Or your favorite salad for the filling!
– Fry up some veggies for the filling
– Or use the leftovers from last night’s dinner!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Freeze Gluten Free Crepes?
Yes, you can freeze gluten free crepes for up to 3 months. Just make sure you place some paper in between each crepe to prevent sticking.
How to Reheat Crepes?
If frozen, thaw the crepes until you can separate one from another and place into a microwave for 10-15 seconds. If refrigerated, just warm the crepes up in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or place into the oven until warm.
Can I Use Gluten Free Pancake Batter for Crepes?
No, because pancake mix or pancake batter will contain baking powder or soda which will cause your crepes to rise making them into pancakes.
What is the Difference Between a Crepe and a Thin Pancake?
Pancakes have a rising agent that is mixed into that batter which creates a totally different texture from that of a crepe! Crepes do not use any rising agent which allows them to be so thin and flat.
What is the Difference Between Crepes and Galettes?
Crepes are originally sweet while “galettes” is the proper name for the savory crepes!
What are Gluten Free Crepes Made of?
They are made of gluten free flour, eggs to keep them together, milk, oil, salt, and sugar.
What is the Difference Between Sweet and Savory Crepes?
The only difference is vanilla and the amount of sugar. This recipe doesn’t call for sugar at all, while other savory crepe recipes might still use some. If you are making sweet crepes you might want to add more sugar to the batter.
Have you made these gluten free savory crepes at home? I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram @natashashome_ and I would love to share your creations in my stories. If you have any questions, suggestions, or thoughts to share – leave them in the comment section below!