Learn how to make pumpkin spice latte with just a few simple ingredients! This delicious, warming, sweet, and spicy drink will totally make your day. One of the easiest recipes out there, this pumpkin spice latte just might become your new favorite coffee drink!
What is in a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
- Milk – you can make your latte vegan by using non-dairy milk. Use coconut, almond, or rice milk for this recipe!
- Pumpkin Puree – use canned puree or make your own with this easy pumpkin puree recipe!
- Pumpkin Spice mix – I make my own with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg. You can also add allspice if you like! There are premixed pumpkin spice packages you can buy if you want to save yourself some time weighing and mixing.
- Espresso – use good quality coffee! There are plenty of ways to make a shot of espresso, I like to use stovetop espresso maker for my cup of pumpkin spice latte.
- 3 cups of milk (use more or less to regulate the level of spiciness in your latte)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves (or allspice)
- ½ tsp nutmeg (or cardamom)
- 1-2 shots of espresso (depends on how strong your want your coffee to be)
- Sugar / maple syrup / honey – if you like your coffee sweet!
- Whipped cream – I love using coconut whipped cream (super easy to make at home!)
Watch How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte
Step by Step Recipe
Add milk and sweetener to a little pot and place on the stove to let the ingredients combine. Then add all the spices and pumpkin puree and give the milk a good stir. Keep on the stove until you see little bubbles come up, but avoid boiling the mixture.
Let the milk infuse with all the spices for a few minutes (anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes). Taste and adjust the amount of milk and sweetener. Strain through a clean cheese cloth or a kitchen towel.
If you are making your own whipped cream, you can make it now. For coconut whipped cream you will need to have cold coconut milk from a can (the harder part that separates from the coconut water in the can). Whip the cold coconut milk with a hand mixer until soft peaks form and then you are ready to top your delicious pumpkin spice latte with some out of this world coconut whipped cream!
Make your espresso. Pour espresso into the cup and top with pumpkin spice syrup. Add whipped cream on top, sprinkle with some cinnamon and enjoy! Now you know how to make pumpkin spice latte. So easy, isn’t it? Serve with some homemade cookies or chocolate chip pumpkin muffins!
Tips for Success
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Mix?
If you don’t have a premade mix, just add cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves (or allspice), nutmeg, and / or cardamom together and you have your own pumpkin spice mix!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte with a Milk Frother?
You can froth your milk separately and just add the spices and pumpkin straight to your cup. This way you will taste spices though which is not my favorite experience with pumpkin spice latte!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Iced?
You can make cold brewed coffee (or let your espresso cool down first), then mix coffee with the spice mix + pumpkin puree. Add some ice to the cup, pour the coffee on top over the ice and then add milk. Mix until incorporated and enjoy!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Taste Better?
You can use caramel sauce as a sweetener instead of maple syrup or honey to add an extra flavor to your cup!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Vegan? Caffeine Free?
Just use dairy free milk! Coconut, almond, or rice milk all will work great. If you want to make your coffee decaf aka caffeine free, then just use decaffeinated coffee! You can find decaf coffee in many stores (or just order a bag of it online!).
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Pumpkin Spice Latte Taste Like?
Pumpkin Spice Latte tastes kind of like a pumpkin pie with a coffee flavor. If you put too many spices though, it can even burn a bit! Cinnamon is definitely one of the main flavors in your drink, so if you like cinnamon, the chances are you will love your pumpkin spice cup of coffee!
What Goes Good with Pumpkin Spice Latte?
There are plenty of great desserts that will be a great addition to your pumpkin spice latte cup! Here is a list of food pairings you can most probably find in your local Starbucks!
What is in Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Starbucks uses the same pumpkin spice mixture – cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. They also use pumpkin puree, 2% milk, and vanilla whipped cream on top. Of course, espresso is made with their own beans, otherwise Starbucks pumpkin spice latte is definitely something you could easily repeat at home!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Healthier?
You can use less sugar, and plant based whipped cream (like coconut!). If you want to make your coffee lighter, use plant based milk. Non fat dairy milk tends to have more sugar than full fat. So, if you want to swap the milk, just go for the plant based! Almond, coconut, rice milk – all work great!
Why is Pumpkin Spice Latte so Popular?
You can check out this article to learn more about why this drink makes us want to get it again and again!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte without Puree
You don’t have to add pumpkin puree if you don’t want to, just proceed with the recipe without adding the puree. You will have less pumpkin flavor, but the pumpkin spice is going to make your drink amazing even without the puree.
Join our community! Receive tips and tricks to becoming a better home cook.
If you made this recipe, share your experience in the comments below! I would love to know your tips and tricks for making pumpkin spice latte. If there are any questions you have I did not address, please let me know in the comments and I would gladly to respond!
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 pot
- 1 cheese cloth / kitchen towel for straining
- 1 stand mixer (optional) for whipped cream
- 3 cup milk can use plant based milk
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree canned or homemade
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (or allspice)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 cup cooled coconut milk optional
- 1 tbsp maple syrup honey, sugar, or skip if don't like sweet coffee
- 2 shots espresso or 4 if you like stronger coffee – makes 2 cups
- Mix milk and maple syrup (or honey) if using and place on the stove (medium-high heat). Let the sweetener dissolve in the milk. Add pumpkin and all the spices. Let the milk infuse with the spices for 5-10 minutes.
- Make coconut whipped cream if using. Take refrigerated coconut milk (it will be firm, not liquid) and whip with a mixer until soft peaks form. Use as soon as your coffee is ready! The whipped cream can also be refrigerated for a day or two.
- When milk is ready, strain it through a cheese cloth or a clean kitchen towel. Make espresso for 2 coffees and pour into 2 cups. Add milk to the cups and top with the whipped cream. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and you are ready to go!